Saturday, May 22, 2010

It's Gardening Week...Let's Make a Toad Village!!!!



Alright...before I can begin todays tutorial I have a confession to make.  I have frog and toad phobia, (I don't differentiate...to me if it hops, is greenish, covered with spots, I don't like it)!  At one point it was so bad that I spent the night sleeping in my car because there was a toad on the front step, (that I couldn't move, no matter how large a stick I wielded)!  I've been working on this ridiculous fear of mine because I live out here in the country, and toads are my closest neighbours...they LOVE our walkway and I do appreciate the hard work they do in the garden, (eating all the not so good insects)...also, I don't want to pass on this fear to my daughters...I mean, how remarkable are these creatures to our children?!  On that note, and because I am ready to conquer my fear a little bit more, welcome to Toad Village!!!

To make your own Toad Village you will need:


A few terra cotta pots, medium sized are best (as many as you want, depending on how large you want your village to be)!
paint, paintbrush
waterproof varnish
stones to line the pathway, leaves, straw, whatever you want to fancy up your village and make the toads abode a little more comfy


Start by painting your pot...you will only need to paint one half of it, as the other half will be buried in the soil, (as per the pictures below).  After they dry, put on a coat or two of waterproof varnish.


Find a spot in your garden or yard where you want to put Toad Village...bury your pots halfway in the soil, and line the bottoms with straw, old leaves, whatever you have on hand.  Put up the clothesline and VOILA!!  You could also fashion some walkways, make a little pond...the possibilities are endless!  This is a super simple garden craft...you could take this a step further and learn about the toads in your neck of the woods, read 'Frog and Toad' aloud, etc... 


Here is our finished village...in the heart of our vegetable patch, a little slice of paradise for the toads in our lives!  Hope you are all having fun outside in your own gardens!!!  Thanks for coming by this week!!

Sunshine and smiles, seeds and mud!
Maureen

29 comments:

  1. Yeah I love this. We had a baby toad living in our strawberry patch last year. This is so cute.. I might have to add a mini pond in the middle too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A clothesline? I can't believe my eyes. I love it. My eyes widened when I saw the title of your post...you're WELCOMING them now? Don't forget to put out a welcome mat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definately file this project away in my brain...for a time when I see frogs and toads regularly. I hope I will view them as a welcome change from the black squirrels and crows I share my space with now. Goodbye city life!
    Happy long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable--- I like how you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! That's a huge toad in that picture...I think I might be a little phobic as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn...that picture was taken at the Toronto Zoo on a recent trip...when we put Matilda by the toad, (she's 1 1/2yrs old), she backed away in fear...yes, that toad is my worst nightmare!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun homes! Good for you for working towards overcoming your fear of toads...I don't see myself making any snake homes (my phobia) in my garden but I admire your bravery. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you once again for the many awareness you distribute,Excellent publish. I was really enthusiastic about the short article, It is really pretty inspiring I should acknowledge. I like traveling to you web-site considering the fact that I normally come across interesting articles like this a person.Great Task, I considerably take pleasure in that.Do Hold sharing! Regards,สล็อตออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  9. The write-up is prepared in very a fantastic method and it incorporates several practical data for me.สล็อต 999

    ReplyDelete
  10. The write-up is prepared in very a fantastic method and it incorporates several practical data for me.สล็อตวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was seriously a fascinating subject and I kinda concur with what you may have described listed here!สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastically composed report, if only all bloggers made available a similar written content when you, the online market place can be a significantly greater spot..บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

    ReplyDelete
  13. i study loads of things and I discovered that the strategy for creating to clearifing that particularly wish to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come back again in foreseeable future..สล็อตเว็บใหญ่

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm able to see that you're an expert at your field! I'm launching a website soon, and your information are going to be incredibly handy for me.. Thanks for all your assistance and wishing you each of the achievement in your company.บา คา ร่า วอ เลท

    ReplyDelete
  15. I significant value this article. It’s hard to find The great within the negative in some cases, but I believe you’ve nailed it! would you head updating your blog site with more information?สล็อต ฝาก-ถอน true wallet ไม่มี บัญชีธนาคาร

    ReplyDelete
  16. many thanks for the tips and information..i really recognize it..บาคาร่าวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is very informatics, crisp and crystal clear. I imagine that almost everything continues to be described in systematic fashion to make sure that reader could get utmost data and find out many things.สล็อตทรูวอเลท

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastically composed report, if only all bloggers made available a similar written content when you, the online market place can be a significantly greater spot..สล็อตแตกง่าย

    ReplyDelete
  19. really exciting article.This is often my initially time stop by here.i found so mmany fascinating stuff inside your website Specially its discussion..thanks for your submit!สล็อตxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was seriously a fascinating subject and I kinda concur with what you may have described listed here!เว็บสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  21. I significant value this article. It’s hard to find The great within the negative in some cases, but I believe you’ve nailed it! would you head updating your blog site with more information?เว็บสล็อตเว็บตรง

    ReplyDelete
  22. i really like this informative article you should keep it up.เว็บตรงสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  23. This really is really nice to go through..useful article is excellent to browse..many thanks lots!เว็บ ตรง

    ReplyDelete
  24. It proved to be Really practical to me and I am sure to many of the commentators listed here!เกมสล็อต

    ReplyDelete
  25. If anyone wants a leather jacket in good quality, We are offering new stylish jackets .please check our World Of Tanks Arnold Jacket.

    ReplyDelete

We ((LOVE)) your comments!!! Thank you with all our hearts for visiting us here at Twig and Toadstool. xo

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails